Bell's Livery Stables
One hundred years ago when the horse still reigned supreme Burnie had no fewer than three livery and bait (the archaic name for feed) stables. Here coach proprietors, tradesmen and local country people in town for the day could have their horses stabled and fed - they were the car parks of their day.
John Bell began his business in Wilson Street in the 1880s on a double block extending through to Mount Street. As well as horses he advertised all types of vehicles for hire - this was the time when horsepower reigned supreme. After Bell died his wife continued the business until a disastrous fire destroyed the lower end of the town’s central business block in 1902. The business was never re-established.